BRC is applicable to any food processing or packing operation where open food is handled, processed or packed including fresh produce packing houses, slaughter houses, canneries and other processed food manufacturers.
BRC Global Standard benefits
- Comprehensive and focused on safety, legality and equality
- Clear and detailed requirements based on HACCP principles
- Standardized reporting format providing information on how sites meet the requirements of the standards
- Closure of all non-conformities identified at an audit with evidence included in the report before certificates can be issued
- Complementary with existing quality management systems, e.g. ISO and HACCP
- Safe and efficient process flows in the interest of food safety, in order to quickly identify and control risks in respect of hygiene, quality, and health hazards for consumers, and to specify effective preventive measures
Outline of the BRC Standard:
- Senior Management Commitment and Continual Improvement: Factory senior management must be fully committed to standard’s application and continued development.
- The Food Safety Plan (HACCP): The basis for the Food Safety System is an effective HACCP program based on the requirements of the internationally recognized Codex Alimentarius system.
- Food Safety and Quality Management System: Requirements for the management of food safety and quality, building upon the principles of ISO 9001. This includes requirements for product specification, supplier approval, traceability and management of incidents/product recalls.
- Site Standards: Expectations for the processing environment (layout and maintenance of the buildings and equipment, cleaning, pest control and waste management).
- Product Control: Requirements at the product design and development stage, allergen management and the expectations of laboratories and product testing.
- Process Control: Establishment and maintenance of safe process controls, weight/volume control and equipment calibration.
- Personnel: Requirements for the training of staff and expectations on protective clothing and personnel hygiene.
The BRC Difference
The BRC Global Food Standard has no grading of the awards of basic or intermediate level. The numbers and type of non-conformity will, however, be indicated on the report. The organization receives a written report detailing both nonconformities and conformities. The organization’s responsible individuals need to close out all non-conformities within 28 days and demonstrate the status achieved to the auditor.
You can find more information on the BRC website.