The globalization of markets has enabled the global sourcing of ingredients for food products. This has increased the complexity of the supply chain for many manufacturers thereby increasing the risk of food safety incidents. However, the need to provide evidence of food product safety has never been more important.
Effective and harmonized food safety systems shall manage and ensure the safety and suitability of food in each link of the supply chain.
FSSC 22000 is intended for the certification of food safety systems of food manufacturers that process or manufacture:
- perishable animal products, excluding slaughtering and pre-slaughtering (meat, poultry, eggs, dairy and fish products)
- perishable vegetable products (i.e. packaged fresh fruits and fresh juices)
- products with a long shelf life (i.e. canned products, biscuits, snacks, oil, drinking water, beverages, pasta, flour, sugar, salt)
- bio-chemical products for food manufacturing (i.e. vitamins additives and bio-cultures)
* Note: transport and storage on site and as part of the operation are included (e.g. cheese ripening). It is applicable to all food manufacturing organizations in these categories, regardless of size and complexity, whether profit-making or not and whether public or private.
Benefits of FSSC 22000:
- Easily integrated with other management systems including: quality, environmental and safety management systems
- incorporates ISO 22000:2018 and the series of ISO/TS applications
- Recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI)
- Reduces food safety hazards and
- Promotes continuous improvement on Food Safety Aspects
- Promotes legal compliance
- Increases transparency throughout the food supply chain