Based on their own positive experiences, many companies with ISO 14001 certification have asked their suppliers to demonstrate their commitment to conserving resources and decreasing their impact on the environment.
ISO 14001 can be easily integrated with ISO 9001 (quality management). An increasing number of organizations choose to implement integrated management systems, in order to take advantage of the synergies. Environmental, quality, and occupational health and safety management systems (BS OHSAS 18001/ISO 45001) are fundamental tools of corporate management; their use demonstrates acceptance of responsibility, and the intention to prevent the waste of resources.
ISO 14001 benefits
With an environmental management system certified to ISO 14001, organizations can:
- improve their operational environmental protection
- achieve legal certainty through systematic observation of relevant environmental legislation and regulations
- reduce environmental risks
- improve their environmental performance, to include the environmental quality of products and services
- realize cost savings by way of systematic and proactive thought and action
- foster employee identification, motivation and commitment
- promote confidence of the public, customers and other stakeholders
- enhance their image and competitive ability – both nationally and internationally fulfill customer requirements
There are also Clarifications of Intent developed by the US TAG to ISO TC 207 in regard to ISO 14001:2015. Please note Section III is in regard to the new revision while Sections I and II are for prior versions but may also continue to be applicable where the requirement did not change. In addition, customers can submit questions to the US TAG through the process at the beginning of the document.